The amount that an object weights. There are three kinds of weight most frequently uses for cargo:
- Gross: the total scale weight of a shipment, including the goods themselves and the packing.
- Net: the weight of only the goods in a shipment, exclusive of any packing materials;
- Tare: the weight of a container and/or packing materials without the weight of the goods it contains.
The following weight-related terms are commonly used in international trade:
- Long ton 1016,06 kilos (2240 pounds)
- Short ton 907,20 kilos (2000 pounds)
- Metric ton 1000 kilos (2204,6 pounds)
The terms “dimensional weight” and “measurement ton” refer to the comparison of a shipment´s weight to volume used to calculate freight costs.